logo for basementcommunity

basement
community

search

wall of shame

tv, film, and video what are you watching?

joined dec 4, 2022

joined dec 4, 2022

what are you watching these days? This year alone we've got a new season of House of the Dragon, that new star wars show, a new season of squid games what the fuck????

myself, I just finished this show called the Sympathizer on HBO, a drama-dey about the Vietnam war, the refugees, and espionage. I'd recommend it, it's a quick watch at 7 episodes.

I also just finished re-watching the last season of the Sopranos, which has one of the greatest endings I've ever seen in television it fucked me up big time.

posted 6/8/2024, 4:36 am

joined mar 12, 2024

the coolest penguin you'll ever meet on the web

joined mar 12, 2024

Gonna point out quickly that I watch tv shows the same way most people take their pills, which to say I watch usually one episode every day or week of a series. I dont wanna rush through shows to a point where i either run out of good shows to watch or the shows no longer mean anything to me overall but also so i can reflect on whatever happens in a series.

currently watching freaks and geeks and noir on a daily basis and blue eye samurai on a every other day one.

Noir is a good watch if you want a slow burn series with an overarching mystery to keep your eyes hooked to. It's set in france which is unconvential for most anime since 90% of the time they're set in japan, has some pretty beautiful animation for a series made in the early 2000s, has some of the best gun sound design (bullets do that "whizz!" thing when they go past someone head, silenced guns sound like silenced guns if that makes any sense) and the soundtrack is a mix of electric trance music and grand choir which fuckin slaps. Even if you have no interest in watching the show canta per me and Salva Nos are just bops to listen to overall. I have not finished it yet but what i've seen so far is still enough to give it a nod at least, if you like assassin shows you would enjoy this.

Freaks and geeks is alright. i dont like lindsey because she gets peer pressured into doing shit too easily and lacks the cojones to tell characters to piss off if they are going to end up doing something stupid, but I like sam and his friends and the adventures they have. the soundtrack has this grunge vibe to it and overall the show just radiates early 80s/late 70s vibes if that makes any sense. its a high school drama without the sugarcoating most of them tend to have.

blue eye samurai is PEAK SAMURAI TELEVISION and the bees fuckin knees. The animation is amazing, I dont know if this is official but I am getting this "spiderverse" vibe from it where they shoot in twos instead of ones. I'm embarassed to say something simple brained like "it feels eastern/japanese" to describe the feel, but thats really all I can muster, it just does. The characters in this show are well written and intriguing, and most of them mesh with this "characters born into unfair circumstances fighting against the system" vibe to it. You can feel a bit of western tinge in some episodes (they play metallica in one of the episodes) but I dont think it harms the show and instead gives it its own feel.I just love the show really, not much else to say.

posted 6/10/2024, 5:41 pm

joined jun 10, 2024

Herald of the Mariana

joined jun 10, 2024

Been watching a lot of Laughing Salesman recently. The plot is simple: person has a problem, Moguro the Laughing Salesman promises to fix that problem as long as the person doesn't break one easy to avoid rule, and then the person usually breaks it and Moguro ruins their life in some way. It's messed up Doreamon (made by the same author too) and I love it, ran for ages in the 80s and early 90s, and even had a 2017 revival but sadly that flopped despite being good.

Here's a playlist of episodes from YouTube, worth checking out imo:

posted 6/10/2024, 8:14 pm

joined sep 22, 2023

lives in a pineapple under the sea

joined sep 22, 2023

Im watching Spongebob (season 1) and im almost done with it!

posted 6/21/2024, 6:36 am

joined dec 4, 2022

joined dec 4, 2022

quoting dean:

Im watching Spongebob (season 1) and im almost done with it!

a classic

quoting BigFreeze:

currently watching freaks and geeks and noir on a daily basis and blue eye samurai on a every other day one.

i need to finish that i think i started it like 3 different times

posted 6/24/2024, 6:54 am

joined jun 10, 2024

Herald of the Mariana

joined jun 10, 2024

I watched Jin Roh the Wolf Brigade today, great movie with beautiful animation would definitely recommend it.

posted 7/13/2024, 11:25 pm

tv, film, and video what are you watching?