logo for basementcommunity

basement
community

search

wall of shame

food, drink, fitness fitness (whole pizza...) thread

joined dec 4, 2022

joined dec 4, 2022

anyone here doing anything active outside now that we're all working from home and not moving as much?

i've currently went through a couple different programs since before Covid. I started off with stronglifts 5x5, which is a powerlifting program focused on getting your beginner weight up quickly using 4 main lifts (squat, bench, deadlift, and over-head press).

I think I spent roughly 2 years doing that or variations of that before moving on to the 5/3/1 program, which focuses on the same main lifts, but with slower progression and adds more weight only after a 4 week cycle.

currently, i'm looking into the stronger by science program bundle after doing 531 for half a year and getting a little bored. this one looks a lot more interesting with room for customization.

other than that, i've also been trying to walk at least twice a day lately.

posted 6/6/2023, 9:03 pm

joined feb 16, 2023

just a lil guy

joined feb 16, 2023

I swap between 5/3/1 and the /r/bodyweightfitness Recommended Routine. I just moved, though, and don't have a good gym close by, so I'm considering home gym options, maybe adding sandbags or kettlebells... dunno, it's tough.

I run and play tennis and that definitely helps with cardio and general "keeping moving".

posted 6/12/2023, 5:31 pm

joined dec 4, 2022

joined dec 4, 2022

quoting dukeceph:

I swap between 5/3/1 and the /r/bodyweightfitness Recommended Routine. I just moved, though, and don't have a good gym close by, so I'm considering home gym options, maybe adding sandbags or kettlebells... dunno, it's tough.

I run and play tennis and that definitely helps with cardio and general "keeping moving".

nice! what lifts are you doing for 5/3/1? i had been doing the Triumvirate variant and it was good enough to make me feel like i was pushing myself while still giving me room to add conditioning days in between: https://rebelcelebrity.com/531-triumvirate/

i also just started walking for ~1 hour a day because i'm realizing i'm not moving enough working from home.

posted 6/16/2023, 5:19 pm

joined jun 18, 2023

joined jun 18, 2023

i'm on starting strength phase 2 atm. still new to lifting but i'm enjoying it so far. thinking about competing at a powerlifting meet next year

posted 6/18/2023, 2:53 pm

joined feb 16, 2023

joined feb 16, 2023

I have been doing all kinds of things for years but only started lifting about 3 months ago, the initial results are impressive.

Now benching about 65KG (145 pounds) and increasing it by 10 pounds a month. Doing this with a home gym because all the weights cost less the 2 months of the gym and it is in my house, no excuses to not do it. I'm not out to lift the most or whatever, my goal is to eventually lift around 80kg, basically lift myself. Should be there by the end of the year even if progress slows a little.

Add in a stack of planks, sit ups and pull ups and at age 39 I have never felt better. It also helps that I have dropped over 100 pounds of weigh over the last 3-4 years, didn't realize how much it was holding me back until it was gone.

edited 6/21/2023, 11:02 am

joined dec 4, 2022

joined dec 4, 2022

quoting NovaVeles:

It also helps that I have dropped over 100 pounds of weigh over the last 3-4 years, didn't realize how much it was holding me back until it was gone.

๐Ÿ˜ฎ that's awesome congrats! i've been contemplating buying some home equipment, but i always think about about having to move it since i'm still in my renting apartments phase and haven't quite settled down yet and i know that stuff would be a pain to take apart and put back together. did you buy a whole squat rack or do you just have a bench and bar?

quoting cherry:

i'm on starting strength phase 2 atm. still new to lifting but i'm enjoying it so far. thinking about competing at a powerlifting meet next year

nice keep it up. starting strength is also a great program - enjoy all the beginner gains!

posted 6/22/2023, 5:22 pm

joined jun 15, 2023

[ ๐’–๐’”๐’†๐’“ ๐’Š๐’” ๐’ƒ๐’‚๐’๐’๐’†๐’… ]

joined jun 15, 2023

Ahhh, exercise. While I've never been able to dedicate myself to such a thing, occasionally I get serious about playing Quest VR and you can really get a workout with that, especially having a large dedicated space to move around without worry.

For someone who considers themselves sedentary both in profession and my free time, I do a good job of always working on stuff, or going out and riding my street legal dirtbike through the scorching desert which can get really exerting off the pavement. So I don't get too chunky. For having entered my early 30s, I'm fortunate to do so well as a junk-food-itarian for about a decade. It's really flattering to have people ask if you work out, when you never have, and don't plan on starting.

People who commit to their fitness, I certainly have major respect for.

posted 6/23/2023, 1:27 pm

joined feb 16, 2023

just a lil guy

joined feb 16, 2023

quoting orchids:

what lifts are you doing for 5/3/1?

"Doing" is a bit of a stretch at the moment, since I've moved and there's no good gym here... but I was doing squats, deads, bench, and OHP. one primary lift a day, alternate lower/upper body.

posted 6/25/2023, 5:16 pm

food, drink, fitness fitness (whole pizza...) thread